Barry Wood Swing Folder

• This design is a very unique scissor opening (Swinglock)folder, which when the blade is fully open and locked in place is almost a fixed blade knife. The handle is nicely contoured for a comfortable grip. Opening is accomplished by lighting pressing down and outward at the rear indentation in the backspacer, which releases the locking pin and allows one side of the handle and the blade to rotate down then forward until the blade locks in the forward position. The other side of the handle continues to rotate back until it locks in place. Closing requires the same slight thumb pressure at the indentation to release the locking pin, then the one side of the handle is rotated back and around, catching the blade and aligning both with the other side of the handle in a locked closed position. Sounds complicated but actually works quite smoothly after a few minutes practice. Really neat and IMHO the most stable of 'lockers' since it is almost impossible to inadvertently open when held or stressed.

Barry Wood Mk 1, 440C Dark brown Micarta® Swinglock; 2 SS pins; brass backspacers. Original Barry Wood folding handle 18cm/3 1/4 ; Mod.
    Spear/Clip blade hollow ground Wood Logo, Venice, CA on obverse (left
    side ) of blade; other side: US Pat. 3702501
    Wood Original Ca. 1972 ? Colt® *Barry Wood* knives were specially made for colt in the 70s.
    This custom model is much rarer than the Colt® model and they are hard to find.
    COLT Firearms used this design to issue knives under the COLT® label. Also copies were done by other knife firms.

COLT MK 1 Foldaway/Swing Folder COPY
    440A Reddish brown Micarta®; Brass Rivets & backstrap Marked PATENT/ROSTFREI

Classic Mk 2 Swing Folder 440A; Green Canvas Micarta®; bolsters 174PH SS
    Barry Wood folding handle 3 3/8 ; Mod. CAL-Clip blade SN: 158 at base of blade
    Original Wood & Irie. Made by Mike Irie March 1995.
    Blade polished (logo gone) by me to mirror finish

Special Edition MK-3 Model 3 Wood/Irie Swing Lock Folder Wilkinson Sword COPY
    440A? ; Stag, brass frame and bolsters; 3 3/8 ; Mod.
    CAL-Clip blade flat ground Wilkinson Sword
    Original is. Model 3 Wood/Irie Swing Lock Folder with steel frame.

PACIFIC CUTLERY Barry Wood Benchmade
    (Ballisong emblem) 440C 17-4-PH Stainless Steel cast 2 3/4“ droppoint marked
    Pacific Cutlery
    Japan; PCC inside handle with Pat. Nr. This is a Barry Wood designed Pacific Cutlery swing lock folder with a stainless steel frame.
    Opening is accomplished by lighting pressing down and outward at the rear indentation in the backspacer, which releases the locking pin and allows one side of the handle and the blade to rotate down then forward until the blade locks in the forward position. The one side of the handle continues to rotate back until it locks in place. Closing requires the same slight thumb pressure at the indentation to release the locking pin, then the one side of the handle is rotated back and around, catching the blade and aligning both with the other side of the handle in a locked closed position.

P.S. A bit like the Roteor also described here, however this system LOCKS open and closed !

• Thank you for showing this nice Collection of Barry Wood Swing Folders.
    I thought about a Lock like this before, an why I´ve never seen one yet!
    Now i know. It´s patentend. :thumb:
    I´d love to try the performance of these Knives. :rolleyes:

Plumber

• Hattie!

Thanks a lot for your work. It's nice to see you speaking for these unusual locks. I learned something again!

Best regards
    Marc

Das Einzige, das wirklich Zukunft hat, ist die Zukunft.

• Great presentation of this variation of knife-system :
    I never saw a custom-made on this : Fantastic !!

I know on another manufactor on this knifes : Parker Cut.Co ... they named it : Hillbilly
    That's a full-metal version an a real heavy-weight :

https://www.bladecommunity.de/index.php?page…tachmentID=4980

@ Hattie only :
    If you are collecting this kind of knives an would be interested in the Hillbilly :
    I would offer it to you for free ... you only had to send me a PM or PN with the address I should send it.

It's in not to bad condition, but not new an without any box or papers ... it's the one shown on the linked picture :)

In der Ruhe liegt die Kraft ...
    Freundliche Grüsse aus Luxemburg,
    Serge

• If you are ever around my way, just drop by Plumber to try them out. I am sure that making one would be allowed by Barry Wood and Mike Irie if one writes them and asks.

Thank you for showing this nice Collection of Barry Wood Swing Folders.
    I thought about a Lock like this before, an why I´ve never seen one yet!
    Now i know. It´s patentend. :thumb:
    I´d love to try the performance of these Knives. :rolleyes:

@ Xyored1965

Thanks for the reference to the Parker Hillbilly - did not know it existed. Ther a lot of copies (Taiwan ?) going around but mine are exceptionally
    well made and might even have been made for Colt® when they issued their version.

The Mad Hatter
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum" Flavius Vegetius c.375

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Hattie (5. Februar 2014 um 07:24)

• Another interesting lock open lock close is the Lone Wolf 30th Anniversary Paul Poelman Knife also sold by AG Russell as the PAUL Knife !

Google it if interested.

The Mad Hatter

• Danke für die Vorstellung und die klasse Bilder der schön gearbeiteten Schneidlinge :thumbsup:

In meinen Augen ist Dieses, verschlusstechnisch ziemlich das unpraktischte was man machen kann. Ich frag mich immer warum macht man sowas? ?(

Gruß Jürgen

• @Jürgen / j-o-e Nichts fuer Ungut aber .....

Warum man das macht ? Hier ein paar Sachen ueber d. Du Dir evtl. Gedanken machen solltest :doh: :

1) macht ein klapper absolute sicher 'gelockt' offen oder zu :thumb: . Wird nie in der Tasche aufklappen oder beim arbeiten zuklappen !
    (z.B beim Back-lock - siehe the 'Boye notch' um genau das zu verhindern beim offenes Messer. Auch linerlocks® sind absolute idR unsicher
    im offenen Zustand und werden evtl. sogar mit -siehe Lionsteel SR-1- eine extra Vorrichtung/Disc versehen um das Messer offen zu halten.)

2) Das Messer :schaaf: 'innenleben' laesst sich sehr leicht reinigen OHNE das Ding zu zerlegen (was man wirklich nicht bei andere systeme sagen kann
    - manche kriegt mann auch nicht mehr gescheidt zusammen :heat: )

und nicht zuletzt - last not least ,

3) weil mann's kann :freu: (oder auch nicht ganz :rolleyes: - siehe Roteor)

mfg The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Hattie (5. Februar 2014 um 19:31) aus folgendem Grund: Grammar

• Hi,

ich war am Freitag bei einem Kunden und "durfte" mir seine Messersammlung anschauen. Unter anderem war das hier dabei: Ein Traum.
    Erst das zweite Loveless, was ich in der Hand haben durfte. Es gibt wohl 25 davon weltweit.

Wer ein bis zwei Nieren verkaufen will kann sich gerne melden.

• http://knifelegends.com/Loveless%20Woo…Two%20Stag.html

'Blade Length: 3 3/8 inches Overall Length: 7 7/8 inches
    Closed Length: 4 1/2 inches Sheath/Case: Velcro Pouch

Blade Steel: ATS-34
    Bolster/Guard: 416 Stainless
    Handle Material: Presentation Grade Samber Stag

Comments: During 1973 Bob Loveless entered into a brief collaboration with Venice California folding knife maker Barry Wood. That short-lived collaboration produced a grand total of 36 very interesting folders with blades ground by Steve Johnson and the balance of the knives made and assembled in Venice CA by Barry Wood.

Wood's ingenious design allowed the entire blade to fold into the frame for safe keeping, and when pared with the classic Loveless Utility Blade collectors couldn't get enough.

Unfortunately Bob and Barry had a falling out, and these 36 special folders were the beginning and the end of the Loveless-Wood partnership.And as you can imagine these knives are extremely collectible and rarely come to market.

This knife is especially important as it was the first Loveless-Wood folder completed for sale and it is marked appropriately inside the frame. You can see these markings in the far right image in the photo above.
    '

The Mad Hatter